DNA Testing kits can provide insight into health and family histories. Seeing results (typically several weeks after submitting your test) can be informative, educational, and even fun; beware, however, of the potential risks (emotional, family, legal, etc.).
We’ve analyzed over 20 DNA Testing Kit companies and have chosen 2 that meet the highest standards. While we were hoping more companies would meet the “Gold Standard”, we ultimately decided only 2 companies surpass our “Trust Factor” threshold given the sensitive nature of sharing one’s DNA sample with a service.
- 23andMe (Gold Standard)
- Best for genetic screening and health risks
- Has solid genealogy component as well
- Only DNA Test Kit with FDA approval
- AncestryDNA (Gold Standard)
- Best for genealogy / family history
- Has solid genetic screening and health risks component as well
- Has database of tens of millions of profiles and deep family history research